Friday, January 15, 2016

Shiver His Timbers by Alex Westmore


Shiver His Timbers
by Alex Westmore
Pages: 267
Date: January 11 2016
Publisher: Broad Winged Books
Series: The Plundered Chronicles (2nd in series)

Review
Rating: 3.76 out of 5.0
Read: January 14 to January 15 2016

This second book by Westmore that I have read is closer to a 3.75 to 3.8 book than a 4 star book.

I was excited to read this book. I had finished the first book in the series shortly before the second was going to be released. But there was enough time in between finishing that book, and starting this one to allow me to develop quite a heavy dose of need/desire/want . . . to read this specific book here. So, the book got released, I got it, and promptly . . . read a different book. Well, I was in the middle of a series, so . . .. By the time I actually got back to this one, the book had a rather odd rating on GoodReads. Sure it was based on only a few readers/raters but still. Alarming. No matter, I wasn't going to allow that to influence me. (ETA: I'll note now, since the rating has skyrocketed since I saw it initially, that I had initially seen the rating at 2.50 stars. Which seems impossible, considering that no one has actually rated the book as low as 2 stars. Or 1. Or 3 for that matter).

So, I dove into the book and . . . was kind of bored. There is a kind of an inherent need in series books to have 'stuff' repeated. So that readers who had read the first book long ago, could be brought up to speed, and those who never read any other book in the series might have a chance of understanding what was going on. Which just means that I, who had just finished the first book, was bored.

There were some rather exciting moments in this book. Thrilling moments. But by no means is this book as good as the first in the series. Unfortunately. Oddly enough, or maybe fitting, things didn't really turn interesting until new characters appeared. Namely Evan and the people whose name I can't remember. Gagagaallagasheasgash or something like that. Unfortunately, Evan and the Galloglaighs didn't turn up that quickly in the book.

Unfortunately appears to be my favorite word for this review, I use it once again - unfortunately my brain is leaking from my skull, so I must flee without doing as much with this review as I might have wished to do.

Grace O'Malley and crew wander over to Scotland to try to help a pregnant Mary keep the throne of Scotland from the treacherous Queen Elizabeth of England. Meanwhile, Quinn continues her ways with the women, still stringing along both Becca and Fiona. Though Fiona is the one who supposedly has Quinn's heart. They can't be together, though, because that just isn't done. Also, Fiona is married to an English dude. At roughly the same time Mary is pregnant, Fiona is pregnant. With her second child. First one didn't make it. Fiona and all involved are concerned.

The pregnancies are relatively quickly handled one way or another and Grace and crew are back in Ireland. To pick up some Galloglaighs, 'foriegn warriors', and to take them back to Scotland to help defend the Queen. Grace splits her forces onto three ships. Her own, and two . . . um, galley? Galleons? I forget which. Quinn gets the captain seat for one, Innis gets the other. They load up their ships with the Galloglaighs, and in the process Quinn meets Evan. One thing leads to another, and Quinn is questioning whether or not she actually has developed feelings for a dude.

Clan battles in Ireland, with the help of English interference, a certain unstable in-fighting is occurring in Scotland between the Queen of Scotland and her English husband (shesh, all these people are marrying Englishmen). Death, destruction, plundering, sex, risk, danger, war sweep across this kind of short book.

Was interesting.

January 15 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment