Friday, January 30, 2015

A Grave Talent by Laurie R. King


A Grave Talent
by Laurie R. King
Pages: 310
Date: April 1 2010 (originally published 1993)
Publisher: Minotaur Books
Series: Kate Martinelli (First book in series)

Review
Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0
Read: January 28 to January 30 2015

This is one of those that was quite solid, that I was seriously thinking of rating it 5 stars at one point. Then later seriously considering rating it 3 stars.  There were certain elements I can't mention or I'd have to tag this "full of spoilers" that didn't so much annoy me as make me feel let down.

There was a certain amount of manipulation, of author pulling on heart strings to get reactions out of readers that I started to feel a little too acutely.

It was a solid book, beginning middle and end.  Epilogue was needed for specific reasons, and yet seemed like it might have been a better book without that tacked onto the end.  I mention the solidness of the book as I recall seeing reviews that seemed to indicate an split in the book, a solid mystery in the beginning then a dive into "lesbian matters" or however they put it.  After reading the book, I'm quite surprised and confused by that reaction.  I didn't get that sense at all.

As an added after the fact that is just a tacked on part that can be overlooked: After posting my short notes to myself that some may or may not call a review, I noticed the large number of recordings for the book. I didn't recall charting the progress of my read so I looked closer.  Apparently I've been aware of and thought about reading this book since August 2014.  Took until now to read it though. hmms. Not sure what exactly was holding me back, if anything. Probably just the fact that there are roughly 888,888 trillion books out there as possible reads that I haven't read yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment