Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Olivia by Dorothy Strachey


Olivia
by Dorothy Strachey
Pages: 176
Date: June 1 2006 (originally published 1949)
Publisher: Cleis Press

Review
Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0
Read: February 4 2015

A coming of age story written around 1935 and finally published in 1949. Started off with an interesting introduction. Which was the only in the sample I tried. I'm somewhat glad of that. Otherwise I probably would not have bought it.

Beginning was a little off putting. In a tell not show way the author proceeded to give some details of Olivia up to a religious school she hated in England, and then over to a finishing school near Paris. But then . . . then the story picked up, grasped me and wouldn't let me go. Never really lost the tell not show vibe, but a lovely told story.

No comments:

Post a Comment