Sunday, February 21, 2016

Loveday by Kristy Flowers


Loveday
by Kristy Flowers
Pages: 267
Date: June 30 2015
Publisher: Self
Series: N/A

Review
Rating: 2 out of 5
Read: February 21 2016

My first story by this author. Another adult choose your adventure. Well, 'Interactive pick your path'. Not sure if it's choose your adventure yet.

There tend to be two types of 'interactive fiction'. The kind that has lots of 'choose A, B, C, or D', and the kind that has maybe three choices left up to the reader in the whole book. I prefer the many choices version. Guess I'll know shortly which kind I'm facing.

Okay, first off: yay, the 'you' is female. Secondly - historical fiction mixed with mystery/revenge/graphic sex. Let the fun begin . . . or something.

Hmms. So, not a 'you choose'. At least, so far, not a you book. Following, I am, Lena Sherwood. At least in the prologue. Maybe it become you later?

Wait. This is Victorian historical fiction. 1837 to 1901. First car in England - 1895. One of the people in the story was 'waiting by the car'. So, this would have to be set at some point between 1895 and 1901.

Right, so - the Blackwood family was expanding, aggressively. The Sherwood family was in their way. So, they invited them over and killed them. All except for Lena Sherwood and her brother. Saved by the driver, Thomas, those two. Who had taken, recently, in slipping into Lena's bed.

So far certain awkwardness in wording, and spelling. Using 'safe' instead of 'save.' Etc. Really really awkwardly worded. Bah.

Gah. So bloody wordy. And before I even got anywhere, despite everything that's happening, I kind of hate Lena. Was that the intention? Possibly.

So, my first choice came up. My choice was 'Continue'. Just that. Hmm. Yay? Naturally I choose . . . continue.

And now I hate Lena even more. Yeah, this is more of the second type of interactive novel. I'm not in control of anything. And now, trapped as I am, I'm forced to watch the moronic Lena make out the Butler so that she can get a position she stupidly made herself overqualified for. bah.

Ah, my second time able to make a 'choice'. This time there's actually options. Three options. Observe one of the three Blackwoods living at the estate. I decided to investigate the woman first.

Hmms. (1) Lena has mentioned that she's visited the place before; (2) her brillant undercover work consists of dying her hair and changing her name. hmms.

Bah, my distast for Lena continues. Also: "Lady Edith...do you do this all buy yourself?" - the mispellings keep pulling me out of the story. (As I'm sure my own mistakes are pulling people out of the review).

Third choice. Continue working with Edith, or go bug the other two. Naturally I continue with Edith.

Yeah, another choice. "click here to continue". Do I choose to click, or do I . . . stop reading the book? Oh, what should I do, what should I do . . ..

The sex is annoying. The choices are few. And I have no control. I'm bored.

'How unusual. I didn’t notice it yesterday, but Lady Edith was already working in the garden before I even came. This meant that she had woken up even earlier than the servants - how unusual. It wasn’t uncommon for members of nobility to sleep until noon.' (Kindle Locations 1981-1982). - This paragraph makes no sense to me. I just read the day before. And Lena/Summer working with Edith in the garden. And finding her there. Working. In the morning. Long before noon. And dirty. And stuff.

I was rendered speechless by what she said. I could have never imagined for a lady to say such words. (Kindle Locations 1985-1986). - this book is annoying me. Deeply.

Yeah, this was an annoying book.

February 21 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment