Sunday, February 21, 2016

Big Nate: Thunka, Thunka, Thunka by Lincoln Peirce

*I received this book from NetGalley in return for a fair review.*


Big Nate: Thunka, Thunka, Thunka
by Lincoln Peirce
Pages: 176
Date: March 1 2016
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Series: Big Nate

Review
Rating: 5.0 out of 5.0
Read: February 21 2016

Back when I used to read comic strips in the paper (and read newspapers, gah, I can still feel the print transfering and smearing onto my hands *shudders*), Nate was one of the comics I read. I have probably a good many of the collections that have been put out, just not in the collected form - just by reading the strips in the paper. I mention all that because I appear to only actually have one book by Peirce in my catalog marked as read. Odd, that.

No matter. I was offered the opportunity to plunge myself back into this universe, and I took leapt at the chance. And do what I sometimes do - the review as notes taken as I read:

hehe - well, the first strip is funny. So, so far I'm glad I got the chance to read this.
Nate: You're a celebrity. All over town you're known as "That guy who hands out lame halloween candy." - hehe - ack. hehe. See, I'm already giggling, then the punchline came and I actually laughed outloud. Not sure children would necessarily get it, though. Maybe, not sure.

hehe - some relatively mundane strips followed by one that made me laugh out loud again. Good good.

Okay then. A mix of relatively flat comic strips and some rather funny. *nods* Several that made me laugh a little too loudly.

'You might have a future as a mimie' - hehehehe

Bah, I was about to mention another funny line. But I can't keep putting them her, what'll other people do? No, I not be bad. So then, imagine this line here [redacted] - it was hilarous.

Dang, this thing keeps making laugh loudly. hmms. Who would have known, eh? Granted, part of this goes back to my first paragraph wherein I noted that I used to read this comic in the papers. Well, I haven't in a while so 99.9% of these are new to me. Therefore their humor is fresh and exciting.

Shesh. I just keep bursting with laughter.

Oh. I suppose I should mention something about what the book is about. Nate is a student at a school, P.S. something or other. Several reoccurring characters appear, like the teacher he hates, the girl he fancies, the girl he hates, the people who are friends with him, the big sister, the balding fat dad, the dog who is in love with a cat. A cat. (No, I'm not saying that in shock or anything, I'm including the cat in the list of reoccurring characters).

Various story lines are followed, Nate and his attempts to keep from getting detention, his non-athletic/nonmusical father who keeps trying to get involved athletically or musically; Nate's whining about Jenny and how she is with another guy and not him. The attempt to write a fight song for the school. The attempt to get a sponsor for the baseball team (Nate visits several places, including a mention of visiting Victoria's Secret, to find this sponsor).

hehehe - oops sorry, here I am trying to break away from rambling by actually writing stuff, and I got interrupted by a really funny bit. Sorry about that. I'll try to contain my laughter (I'd mention what it was that was funny, but I've done that too often and do not wish to spoil to book).

Ah man, it's over. I'm super sad now because the comic strip collection suddenly ended. By the way, apparently this collection is in some way connectd to 'amp! COMICS for kids'. To which I note: (1) I'm not a kid so I do not know if kids will enjoy the comic. It's possible. I know one or two punchlines might, possibly, be over their head. Depending on age. And general interests. (2) non-kids, as in humans and not the young of goats, should probably not be adversely impacted by seeing that 'comics for kids' on the label. Becasue it can be read by adults. At least one. Me. And I'm almost really old. But not yet. Hmm, if I joined the military I'd already have 20 years in. Right, got distracted there.

I recommend this book to one and all. Who like humor. That includes this humor being presented by way of a youngish child.

February 21 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment