Saturday, February 20, 2016

Agent 69: Stroken, Not Stirred by Callista Hawkes


Agent 69: Stroken, Not Stirred
by Callista Hawkes
Pages: 371
Date: November 26 2015
Publisher: Self
Series: N/A

Review
Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0
Read: February 20 2016

Been a while since I read one of these erotic interactive stories. This one here is the first story I've read by this author. Let's see how good (or not) it is, eh?

Okay, so, I'm a British secret agent named James Hazard (eww, I'm a boy). So, going in I already know there's one strike against the book - it's a 'you' type book, and the main character is male. And I'm not male.

Okay, book opens with me, or 'you', falling through the sky towards the surface of the Atlantic Ocean. Luckily I have a parachute.

Okay, so, I've read enough to know what the first mission consists of - a 'Captain Frost' has (1) kidnapped the daughter of the USA President, and (2) stolen a nuclear submarine. Unable to use his own agents, fearing as he does insiders helping Frost, the president contacted the Brits. And the British PM sent you (well, someone over there sent you, I assume it wasn't literally the PM who messaged you to go. um. me. Messaged me? bah, 'you' books).

Okay, the first choice offered to me is odd. Maybe I missunderstood and I'm not supposed to try to save the president's daughter? bah, back to reading I go.

Well, that little adventure with the president's daughter was both unexpected and actually interesting. Interesting the story I found by always choosing to 'be a gentleman'. Course, that was just the opening scene. Not the whole story. Back to reading I go.

Well, based on everything up to here (opening mission, walking into a serect agent headquarters, seeing a pretty young secretary outside, flirting with her, before your meeting with N) - this is obviously a parody of 007.

Huh. And then the opening with N is almost exactly like the opening with M in the Bond series when M critized Bond's sexism and stuff. Weird, that. This is moving out of the realm of parody into the realm of plagarism.

I keep dodging the chooses which would lead to sex (what, sleep with the boss? eww), but I couldn't turn down the opportunity to flirt with Miss Meriweather (aka Miss Moneypenny). And a good time was had by all. So to speak. *nods*

Right. On to Vienna. And me doing spy stuff. To meet my 'From Russia with Love' Russian intelligence collegue.

Hmms. First time I had to retrace my steps. I like following a single story line to conclusion. Strange how easy the mission/story line ended. Ah well. Back a step and continue, eh?

“Surely not.” Hakan says. “Hugo Kruger is something of a philanthropist,donating millions to develop the townships in his native Johannesburg and elsewhere. He has been lauded throughout the world as a generous humanitarian. Perhaps someone else within his organisation.” (Kindle Locations 1867-1868). - um . . . it's long been the case in fiction and nonfiction that criminals, not all but most, put on a face of 'doing good'. So it always surprises me when this stupid little dynamic pops up over and over again. 'Oh, no! It can't be the super rich guy who likes giving money to charity!' (course by this logic, Bill Gates is a criminal mastermind, but let's not go there shall we?).

Well, it's all done. This actually was a lot more entertaining that other stories I've read that have attempted to add graphic sex to Bond stories.

February 20 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment