Friday, January 19, 2018

Queen of the Damned (Imp, #9) by Debra Dunbar

Queen of the Damned (Imp, #9)Queen of the Damned by Debra Dunbar

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


In my most review, prior to this one, I mentioned that the book I was reviewing was both book 6 of an extended series, and book 1 of a new series. Well here we have something vaguely similar. This is both book 9 and book . . . um . . . 23? Let’s see, to get the full enjoyment of this book – since it references a ton of stuff without giving much of a background to that stuff (which I found out, the hard way, when it referenced stuff from the Half Breed series, which I’ve not read), you need to have read at least the first 8 books in the main Imp series; the Nyalla stories (Stolen Souls (novel); Liberation (short story); Far from Center (novel)); the Rafi story (Northern Lights, and, unfortunately, there’s a storyline that pops up in this book here, I mean the Queen one, that is seen unfolding throughout the Northern Wolves short story series that spins off of Northern Lights); that Ten Lows-a leaping short story; No Man’s Land; Three Wishes; and some number for the Half-Breed novels (haven’t read the series, but there’s stuff that popped up that I’m . . . kinda certain is from that series). So, what is that? 13 to 18 novels, depending on how many of the Half-Breeds should be read prior to this book, and something around six short stories.

So, basically, if you haven’t read a Debra Dunbar book before, don’t start with this one – there’s too much you need to read before getting to this one.

So, this story: As is kind of common with the main Imp series, the story follows (for the most part), that Imp – Sam, as she kind of stumbles around from one seemingly random mission to another – each one building off the last one. Meanwhile continuing to be an Angel of Chaos while still mostly thinking of herself as a lowly Imp (despite having the highest demon title due to the Iblis sword)), and still creating chaos while at the same time trying to ‘help’ everyone around her. Also while trying to hump her six billion year old archangel (want age gap? Her lover is six billion, and she’s shy of a 1,000 years). Though he’s still acting all pissy and stuff. For reasons.

Two things to note: 1) I’d forgotten that Sam liked calling her lover Gregory, despite the fact that his name is actually Michael. So there were times wherein I kept wondering ‘who the fuck is this Gregory guy? Oh . . . right, Michael’. 2) There are, roughly, eight trillion editing errors in this book. I didn’t make any notes or highlighted the errors when I came across them, so I can’t actually be certain of a count. They were of the dangling word variety of errors. Both the kind where a random ‘but’ would be hanging out in a sentence without a care in the world (or a connection to the sentence), or a word would be missing. That type of thing bothers me more when I’m already having trouble with keeping my mind on the book – with being vaguely bored with the book. And I liked what I was reading, here, as I normally do – at least for the main Imp series (while waiting for this specific book to be published I started reading everything else – there are at least 2 maybe 3 (or 4) works I DNF’d, and a few I low-rated – though I do not specifically recall editing issues with those works).

Good story, good book. Dangling ending. Well, epilogue part. Might be good to skip the epilogue until the next book pops up, then read epilogue, then read next book. Because of the dangling thing.

Rating: 4.30

January 19 2018 (eeks, 2018? Mmphs, someone born in the year 2000 is now 18 or will be this year? Eeks.)




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment