Thursday, January 18, 2018

Anna And Her Master by Cassie Caine

Anna And Her MasterAnna And Her Master by Cassie Caine

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


It is interesting the random stories randomly read when randomly. . . . hehehe. Right, sorry.

It is interesting what stories you find yourself reading when you randomly decide to go trolling through your own list of works read and look around to see what else these authors you've read have written. This story here, for example, is the sixth (I believe) story I've read by this author. Though it isn't a new one, in fact it might be one of the earliest (I really should do stuff like look at my own library and at author's pages when I'm writing reviews, but that's boring; much more fun to assume stuff (course then I later go back into my reviews and fix things, but meh)).

The stories I'd read by this author, prior to this one, involved women, young and older, who end up doing some nude modeling (well, four of the stories, vague recollection that another involved a woman whipping another woman, or something like that). So this story here is different than I'm used to from this author.

For, you see, it involves a completely new to BDSM young woman who gets dragged to a Fetish party by her roommate (flatmate) because . . . well, there are reasons. Almost immediately they get separated by events, and almost immediately the main character, Anna, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood (for whatever reason), gets hit on by a man dressed as dracula (is this a BDSM party or a costume party? (insert scene of the two, Anna and Oscar (dracula) watching as a naked woman whips another naked woman bound against the wall, then placing pinchy-thingies onto that woman's nipples . . . right, so is BDSM party).

Everything that happens in this story would, under other circumstances, probably wave large giant red flags in my face, thereby annoying me, and making me want to kill the flags. I'm confusing myself.

Everything about this story, the skittishness of both Cleo and Anna when they spot people 'doing their kinky thing' (though Cleo's aroused, while Anna literally flies the room), the 'commanding' dominant man who dominates the naive young woman (while at the same time constantly checking to see if she's okay, and stuff - that part negates the other part, or, I mean, makes it better), the crazy-ass weirdly possessive flatmate (Cleo), the weirdly clingy boss (Nigel), the heterosexual nature of this story (well, I mean the main characters), etc. etc. etc. (the almost rape).

Let's move to that - there's a rather disturbing scene that unfolds that is quite . . . difficult to read of a rape nature. Not rape-y. Rape, not dubious consent, or any other kind of wiggle words. But rape. So - I warn that that is in this story. There are reasons why I'm still able to rate this story so highly even though it has rape in it; there are reasons but I can't mention them without spoiling things. I'll just note one thing: you know those stories wherein a female character, probably written by a male writer, has their character 'strengthened' by rape? No? Well, it's a trope in fantasy stories, I've mostly steered clear of them myself. The events that unfold in this story are not there to 'strengthen' the female character. (I probably should look up that trope, there is more to it, stuff like making a perfect character . . . um, less perfect? something; still doesn't apply here) (view spoiler)

One last point: I'm not explaining this story at all well, and am leaving the wrong impression left and right. Like having that 'power play' shelf up there unexplained. Well, that is part of the story. I don't have a Switch shelf, though, or I'd put this on that one as well. For, you see, there is massive power imbalance but it isn't stuck on one side or another. Or something, bah, I'm really not thinking clearly at the moment.

Rating: hmm. I clicked on all five stars, eh? hmms. ..... For the present moment in time, I'll tentatively leave a rating of 4.64 (or .65, I forget if it is 4 or 5 that triggers 'rounding up', an which triggers 'rounding down'; wait, is it 4.74/4.75? or 4.64? bah, whatever rating that is the lowest 5 star rating I can give).

January 18 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment