Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Breaker's Passion by Julie Cannon

Breaker's PassionBreaker's Passion by Julie Cannon

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



- This book is more than I expected. I'm not sure why I keep going into Matinee Romances books expecting certain things that align more with things I dislike. But for one book I gave 1 star to, in this line, most books that bear the brand 'Matinee Romances' on their cover have been books I've given high ratings to. Weird, that. And what is 'Matinee Romances'? I really have no idea. I assume it is some kind of 'imprint' of Bold Strokes Books, but don't imprints get the 'glory' of being listed as the publisher? Sort of a 'Matinee Romances, a division of Bold Strokes Books'. But these books are all listed as published by Bold Strokes Books. Which has, over the years, had several unexplained odd things on their covers, like the 'Matinee Romances' wording, the V for 'Victory', a random stylized e, and other unexplained markings.

- This book has some rather nice imagery buried among the pages. Like when the two lead characters first meet (and yes, both have their own POV's expressed), when 'the Surfer' feels like she is being watched, and gazes towards the beach, while 'The Watcher' gazes out at the surfers, eyes returning again and again to one specific surfer. Neither knowing that they are gazing upon women. But feeling a strong desire to gaze in those two directions (well, one direction per person).

The Watcher moves closer and rests near, but not too close to the water, remaining dry. The Surfer moves closer, then erupts from the sea, and moves forward, as if lured, pulling the Watcher into a passionate kiss . . . one thing leads to another and the two are further back, somewhat hidden among the trees. Tops are removed, extreme desire to explore and lick breasts is displayed. The Watcher sinks to the sand, the Surfer kissing, until the watcher becomes the watched, when she notices three teenage boys standing nearby watching. She makes a noise, the surfer reacts, and seems to come out of a kind of trance and transforms into something other than 'the surfer', she pulls the watcher with her to her truck. Puts her stuff away, then departs . . . leaving the watcher behind. Though that makes things seem bad, yes, appearing to be leaving the watcher to the gaze of the three boys. Leaving out, I am, the part in between when the surfer aggressively gets the boys to leave.

This sounds like fanfiction. The Watcher, the Surfer. The book really isn't like that, I just got carried away. Though the watcher, Elizabeth, does think of the other as 'the surfer' until she can get a name to go along with the woman.

- I'm not sure what age I expected the two women to inhabit. Probably something close to their 20s, maybe late twenties. No real reason, 'professor' in the book description probably should have clued me in. I guess I got fixated on a somewhat vague beach-bum 'surf instructor' vibe. That or the fact the last book I read with this kind of set-up, through Matinee Romances, did involve 20 year-olds (thinking here of Sex and Skateboards, or whatever that book's title was). But no, the woman with the hidden past, the surf instructor, is either 37 or 38. While the professor on vacation, is the other (or, slightly less vaguely, one is 37, other is 38, I just forget which is which).

- Graphic sex? Oh my yes. Instant sex? Well, as the above notes, they do get to 'playing' without even learning the others name, or, for that matter, talking - on the other hand they also break off before things moved beyond 'second base'. Whereupon things kind of moved into a slow burn kind of mode (another unexpected development). But don't worry, a lot of arousing exciting time was had - some of it just in the way surfing is taught; some of it multiple orgasmic fun over 3 to 6 plus hours.

- The book was deeper than I expected.

- It is likely I would have made this a 5+ read (which doesn't really matter, it'd just show up as 5 stars on GoodReads), but for certain things here or there I'd liked to have seen (like longer ending). No words accurately convey what I mean.

November 8 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment