Sunday, July 31, 2016

The Trouble with Women by Jacky Fleming


The Trouble with Women
by Jacky Fleming
Pages: 128
Date: September 20 2016
Publisher: Andrews McMeel
Series: None

Review
Rating: 4.65 out of 5.0
Read: July 31 2016

*I received this book from NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing in return for a fair review.*

I'm no sure how well known it is, but Jane Austen, when she was a kid, wrote a parody of English History. I read it a while back. I mention it here and now because this book here, 'The Trouble With Women' reminds me of Austen's work. It also reminds me of things I see passed around at times - mostly passed around by teachers, but occasionally others. Those 'things' being passed around are exam answers - humorous exam answers. Not because the person answering the question were so witty, but because they were so earnestly . . . . dim. No, I'm not saying this book is dim, I'm saying there's a similar feel among all three things I've mentioned - Austen's short work, this book, and humoroius exam answers. That, of course, being earnestly stated opinions stated as facts of little baring with actual facts. The difference between this book and Austen's on the one hand, and the humorous exam answers on the other, is that the Austen book and this were intended to be humorous (the humorous intention of the exam answers is unknown though assumed to not be the intention of the exam answerer).

This book here dives right in. Noting how, in the beginning, there were no women. Just men. Studying stuff. Then a few women were around, but they had small heads, so men were still the ones 'doing things' of historical importance. And . . so forth.

Randomness seen as I read: 'Jean-Jacques Rousseau, keen flasher.' Eh? heh.

Ah, so that's why women sat side-saddle - 'to avoid a Sexual Awakening.' Must be hard to get a bicycle to work sitting on it side-saddle.

'Women were more concerned about their skirts getting caught up in the wheels, and sat astried wearing Bloomers which turned them into Lesbians.' - this one made me laugh out loud, it did. Of all the things to turn a woman into a lesbian, bloomers never crossed my mind until now. Or sitting upon a bicycle while wearing bloomers.

hehaha - 'Big frocks were an early form of handbag'.

The book's text is handwritten notes. Not always the most easily deciphered handwritting, at that. Slowed me down at times, that did.

Annie Oakley had dainty feet. hehehe

Ah corsets. Invented by someone who wished to cause women to suffocate and die, I assume.

'In the end it was simpler just to disguise yourself as a man.'

I am both vaguely depressed now that I've completed the book, and feeling this slight desire to know how certain men, historical men, men with flowing beards and genius hair, kept from having random people slam things into their testicles. I fear that I shall never know the answer to this question. For man deserved several swift 'corrections' administered directly to their testicles.

This has been both a humorous and depressing book to read.

July 31 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment