Friday, July 8, 2016

Sol by S.H. Jucha


Sol
by S.H. Jucha
Pages: 331
Date: July 1 2016
Publisher: Self
Series: Silver Ships (5th in series)

Review
Rating: 3.0 out of 5.0
Read: July 6 to 8 2016

I like leaving something in these boxes so I can remember what I thought about a story (well, more so I could remind myself what the story was about.

So, let me see - cast of billions. Author seems competent enough. Likes doing what some best-selling authors like to do, like Harry Turtledove, so I can't really fault him for doing it. Though it is also the reason I stopped reading Turtledove. I'm being vague. It's the part where you end up with a cast of thousands, and some pop up, get a brief character sheet made up for them, they do something for a few pages, and then never again are they seen. Drove me insane with Turledove, but meh. Wasn't as bad here, just, annoying.

So - in the last book the forces from Sol (i.e., Earth), invaded . . . um . . . the Haraken space area. They got into a fight. Haraken's handily defeated the Earth people. Then followed them back. This book involves President Racine, and his fleet, zooming into Sol system to make sure Sol realizes it would be stupid to attempt to attack his people again.

Ah, the early days of this series. I liked some of the characters. They kind of got fitted out with little checklists like scenes to check off. Like Renée de Guirnon used to be her own character. Now she's just around to smile, rub her husbands back and occaionally glare at people. And even less often, give speeches. She was something of an equal partner to Alex at some point. I have a feeling that she still is, but it is very hard to tell in this book. She acts kind of like a trophy wife in this book.

No matter. The action that occurred was entertaining enough to pass the time. I enjoyed being able to read the book. Just . . . at a roughly 3 star level.

July 10 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment