Thursday, August 9, 2018

Moribund (Circuit Fae #1) by Genevieve Iseult Eldredge

Moribund (Circuit Fae, #1)Moribund by Genevieve Iseult Eldredge

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I'm fairly certain that I was by no means the target audience for this book involving two 16 year olds. I couldn't stand either point of view character. Not only did both of them mentally keep telling themselves to stop being either emo (dark fae) or 'whiny-pants' (summer fae), they super were. They weren't just being tough on themselves. If you made a list of the most angsty teens around, both would be near or at the top.

I understand that they were 16, but there were some much older people around to help them (though they were kind of like Peanuts, the cartoon, parents - there but .... filler-ish (it is true the mom plays an important role, but she still played while being a stock figure - you could have gotten a wax figure of Barbara Bush from a wax museum and not lost anything)). I say this because time after time they not only acted too stupid to live; they compounded the issue over and over again by setting themselves up for stupidity. Like, one example, they figure out the super stupid 'evil dude’s plan and . . . go into a 'let's be patient' stance. Seriously, it doesn't take a genius to know some certain things that might, I say might, help ((view spoiler)) It kind of kills the tension when you know certain simple things could have been done to disrupt the major plans but . . . nothing. (view spoiler)

Again: both are 16. Again: bloody months went by and there were several adults around who could have offered pointers, knew of the issue, were close enough to offer these pointers but did fuck all to keep the two young women from fucking up. Which they did, the young women, constantly. It's like every bloody choice they made was the wrong one. From beginning to end. WTF is up with that?

And that half-time show just pissed me off. The people in the stands (view spoiler).

Judging from the references, and the 'things' in the book, this really did read as if a serious attempt was made to make this 'Buffy the vampire slayer' like. With Summer Fae being Buffy, who has just the one parent (dad's somewhere unspoken in Buffy, almost never around; no mention of him in this book); Fiann, the bitchy head cheerleader in this book, is basically the bitchy mean girl Cordelia. Emo Dark Fae is 'obviously' the brooding Angel character. Scooby gang was basically missing, though (unless Lennon was supposed to be Willow; no one corresponds to Xander, and let's just forget all the rest of the Gang). The librarian who is actually something else . . . yeah, that's here also. The 'evil' principal? Yeah, that's here (and there). The popular girl who suddenly wasn't any more? Yeah, that was in both Buffy and this book (as in Buffy was a popular cheerleader until she wasn't; Summer Fae was in popular group though kinda on the fringes it seems). To a certain extent, I think the book suffers from all the constant Buffy references, because then I play the game I just did in this paragraph, and I see how much is lacking in this book.

hmm. I was thinking one of the reasons I might not be in the target audience is a lot of the pop references either not things I'd recognize, or, if I did recognize them, are fairly recent. But Buffy's old. The film was out in 1992. TV series started in 1997, ended in 2003. A 16 year old would have been alive when the show ended - barely. *shrugs* I went on an odd tangent.

The villains were stupid (I mean that they were by no means on the level of Moriarty from Sherlock Holmes, more on par with Forrest Gump). The 'good guys' allowed their whiny/emo-ness to get in the way of their brains to defeat dimwitted evil dude. (view spoiler)

Man that villain. Shesh. Weakest villain I’ve seen in decades. Mmpsh. Stupid Forrest Gump man-boy villain.

Rating: 2.5

August 9 2018




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment