Monday, November 7, 2016

Fresh Tracks by Georgia Beers



Fresh Tracks by Georgia Beers
Pages: 240
Date: November 1 2006
Publisher: Bold Strokes Books
Series: None

Review
Rating: 4.75
Read: November 6 to 7 2016

7 lesbians ranging from mid twenties (I think directly in the middle at 25) up to 50 (most in 40s, one at 33, another at 45, another at 50, and I believe the others are in the 40s somewhere) meet at a couples 'cabin' in the woods on 75 acres in Upstate New York.

Everyone and possibly the dog have a point of view in this book (okay, there's one passage that could be stretched to be from the dog's point of view but probably wasn't actually). And while there were helpful little subsection headings with big bold words on them listing a name (like Molly), the book still had times when it drifted. Like, for example, being in Molly's point of view, under her bold name, and suddenly I realize that the book has actually slipped into someone else's point of view without making note of the sliding.

Okay then - Amy and Jo are the solid stable couple who offered their friends their 'cabin' (re: constant use of '' around cabin - 'your place is nicer than many people's homes!') for a week. If I understood correctly, Jo's 50, while Amy is closer to 45. One is butch-er than the other, one talks more than the other, and both still have a very strong sex drive despite having been a couple for many years. Both have jobs, though I've forgotten now what Amy's is, and I only recall what Jo's is because of several comments about how Jo fixed up the cabin - Jo is a contractor. I 'forget' their jobs because everyone is on vacation time. Ah, I just remembered Amy's job while thinking of her friends’ occupations - Amy is both a chef and the owner of a restaurant.

The singles
Then the friends - Sophie (black woman whose age escapes me but might be around 40, I forget her job as well). She is still attempting to get over a bad breakup with her ex who had cheated on her.

Laura is a chef who ended up working for Amy before moving on to a job with a retirement community. I believe she is in her 40s. She is also working through a bad break up – this time with her husband. And with her girlfriend. she cheated on her husband with this girlfriend, but the girlfriend ditched her after Laura surprised her by divorcing her husband. I have a feeling I might be getting her name wrong, like it might be ‘Lauren’ instead of Laura, but I can’t check at the moment as my reader is dead.

Darby rounds out the ‘singles’, and she wasn’t invited. She just dropped in – as she has an open invitation to do so, she’s ‘Aunt Jo and Aunt Amy’s’ niece. She’s 25, a player, and a manager at Blockbuster (each time that was mentioned I wondered when this book was written, hehe). And one of the reasons I’m super glad that most of the people in this book were in their 30s/40s/50s (though some of those ’20 something’ stuff seemed a little too stereotypical – too ‘of course she’s that way, she’s a dumb 20 year old’).

the couple
Rounding out the party of 7 are Molly (33) and Kirsten (40s) who have been in a relationship for something like 12 years (I might have the 12 year thing off, and Molly’s age might be off as well, I was going off of the fact that 1) Amy knows Molly because Amy baby-sat Molly when she was something like 7 and Molly was 12; 2) Molly in turn helped Amy when she would she baby-sat Darby, and since I ‘knew’ Darby and Amy’s ages, I came up with the age for Molly, but now I’m suspicious of that age). Molly and Kirsten have been going through a super rough patch at the moment – Molly is kind of passive-aggressive, and while she has a lot of issues she wants to discuss, she has trouble with conflict – meets it by not meeting it, by ignoring it. Kirsten isn’t that much better in the communication department, she’s fleeing communication by diving deeper and deeper into a job which is causing Molly to get more and more annoyed with her. But of course no one actually talks and so . . .. To round things off – Molly is a kindergarten teacher and Kirsten is a VP at an Advertising firm.

So – those are the 7 lesbians. Who spend a week together.

Quite good book, I enjoyed it.

Rating: 4.75

November 7 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment