Monday, April 11, 2016

nightrise by Nell Stark & Trinity Tam


nightrise
by Nell Stark & Trinity Tam
Pages: 288
Date: August 1 2011
Publisher: Bold Strokes Books
Series: everafter (3rd in series)

Review
Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0
Read: April 9 to 11 2016

With the completion of this book here, I’ve now read more books by Nell Stark and Trinity Tam than I’ve read by just Nell Stark. 3 to 2. Not a significant statistic, just something I noted to myself as I was reading.

This book is difficult to actually say anything about without going into spoiler territory. Literally, first thing that happens in the book is a series spoiler. Not specifically a book spoiler, but a series spoiler. So how to write a review that says something while getting around that issue? Note before I continue, a book can ‘spoil’ itself by having a flash forward to open the book, like say flashing forward 3 years, then the rest of the book is set three years before. That did not happen in this instance. I’m not a big fan of flash forwarding.

Val and Alexa return for their third book. The alternating POV continues. Keeping up past tendencies, the book followed a process of focusing on one character for a longish period of time before switching at, roughly, the 49% mark (I might just be remembering when it switched in the prior book, it might have switched earlier this time). And like the previous book, part of the ‘switch’ involved action that took place before where the action ended before the switch. In other words, POV-A followed the storyline time line from point in time A to point in time E before the switch; POV-B followed C until some point after point in time E. Unlike last time, I did not and do not know how much time ‘had to be made up’ before we got back to ‘current’ time.

The action of the book takes place in New York and Argentina. It involves, as noted, Val and Alexa. Also involves Olivia. A new character appears in the form of Solana Carrizo. And the fight with Brenner continues.

And that’s basically what I can say without going into spoiler zone.

Overall I rather liked this addition to the series. A satisfying book. I liked it so much that I diverted from my normal pattern, at least with this series, and dove into the next book immediately.

(there's a longish spoiler section, but I can't seem to figure out how to put spoiler tags on the log - the spoiler section can be found on the version I put on GoodReads. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1604598209)

April 11 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment