Sunday, April 6, 2014

Top Student by Miranda Baker


Top Student
by Miranda Baker
Pages: 40
Published Date: February 25 2014
Published by: Samhain Publishing
Series: Come Again (book 3.5)

Review:
Rating: 4.65 out of 5
Read: April 5 to April 6 2014

This story gave me brief pause, a brief moment of frustration.  A moment when I thought it was going to be like all the others vaguely similar set-ups.  A dominant strong woman who ends up being taught to be a submissive.  But that didn't happen.  And a little light somewhat went off in my head, as the saying goes.  A lot of BDSM stories frustrate and annoy me because of that dynamic.  Plus the simple fact that there are so few dominate women out here in the BDSM fiction world. Who actually work are Mistresses.  I've seen a few, but they are almost always side characters.

Hmm. Exit to Eden had one, a Mistress who was more of a switch than a dominant. The Office Trilogy by N.T. Morley had a side character who was allowed, at times, to be dominate (and another who the reader was teased with the idea she was, but most of her scenes were off-stage). Yvonne: A Courtesan's Compulsion had a rather interesting female dominate, and probably one of the main reasons I gave that one as much as 3 stars. But she very much was a side character.  Only a brief moment on stage. I initially overrated Being the Submissive - Lesbian BDSM Erotica for the mere fact that it was the first time one of the main characters was a female Mistress with a female submissive. Point of view of the submissive, though. Morley's Library series flirted with the idea of a dominant female character, but mostly just teased the reader with her.

So, long and short of all these words is the simple little matter that I might again have overrated because of a female dominate with a female submissive, though I don't think so. Finally, I found a story from the point of view of a female dominate.  And it made me happy, it did.  I suspected that this was the reason BDSM works kept frustrating me.  Nice to know my suspicions were correct. Too bad there really isn't a F/f genre in published form.

Though, now that I think about after using that 'F/f', there are stories in the past I've read in that genre. I didn't think of them while going through what I'd read since those had been free stories strewn among hidden pockets of the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment