Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Partners by Gerri Hill


Partners
by Gerri Hill
Pages: 201
Date: December 2 2008
Publisher: Bella Books
Series: Hunter (book 3)

Review:
Rating: 2.5 out of 5
Read: March 18 2014

I was going to include a review when I finished the book but it seems I wasn't in a good position to do so.  And now it has been somewhat too long ago that I read the book.

Overall it was an interesting series. I rather loved the first book in the series. I was half ok with and half annoyed that the second book, In the Name of the Father, in that the series moved off the two main characters from Hunter's Way. The second book in the series fell from the 5 stars 'Hunter's Way' achieved to 4 stars less to the switch in character focus, and more on a somewhat lessor mystery, and not much in the way of a romance plot.  Casey O'Connor, the focus of 'Partners' was an interesting character in 'In the Name of The Father', but became somewhat less so in 'Partners'.

My main problem with this book can be boiled down to an accidental glance at one line of a review that I noticed before I read Partners.  Don't recall exact wording, but it was something like 'Hunter's Way, again'.  Straight woman with a boyfriend (fiance in this book), partnered up with a lesbian. Straight woman realizes, oh, shesh, it's actually women who turn me on (or, at least, one specific woman).  Lesbian woman has issues that have to be broken through for events to unfold in a certain direction. Again.

Ah, and another problem.  Every woman who is a police officer is depicted as a lesbian or a confused straight woman who is actually a lesbian.  There are apparently no straight heterosexual female police officers. That kind of bugs me.  Probably wouldn't if that story line didn't keep repeating.

So, didn't care for the romance part of the book. How about the mystery part?  I found it a little too contrived and uninteresting. A let down from the prior works in the series.

Thinking about it a day after I finished the book, my 2 might be a little too harsh.  A initial reaction to the repeat from the first book in the series, a reaction to the diminishment of my favorite character in the series, Samantha Kennedy, to almost no show in the second book, to more lines in the third book but still not really 'there'. And a reaction to that implication that all female police officers are actually lesbians, even if they do not immediately realize that they are. It might, just might, actually be a three star book. I'll have to think more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment